Last Updated: December 2018
What personal data we collect and why we collect it
Our customers and users voluntarily provide us with data, including data that can be used to identify, either directly or indirectly, an individual (“Personal Data”) when they purchase or use our products and services (together, “Products and Services”) and access our websites or portals (“Websites” or “Portals”).
Data Provided by Users and Customers.
- Name, address, email, telephone number, username and password (collectively “Account Information”)
- Credit card, debit card, banking or other payment information
- Information submitted as a result of completing forms on our Websites or Portals, entering a promotion or survey or subscribing to, commenting on or downloading information from our Websites or Portals
- Customer content stored, processed, maintained or transmitted using our Products and Services
- File system information such as stored file folder names, file extensions, file sizes, and the configuration of any device registered for use in connection with the Products and Services, including any hardware delivered as part of the Products and Services (each a “Device”)
- Technical information as a result of configuring the Products and Services, including IP addresses, browser-type, device-type, internet service provider, referring or exiting pages, operating system, date and time stamp or clickstream data
- Any other information shared with us directly or indirectly through a customer’s or user’s use of the Products and Services, Websites or Portals
Aggregate Information.To the extent permitted by applicable law, we may use, process, transfer and store customer and user data in an anonymous (or pseudonymous) and aggregated manner. We may combine such data with other information collected, including information from third-party sources. By using the Products and Services, our customers and users agree that we are permitted to collect, use, share and store anonymized (or pseudonymized) aggregated data collected through the Products and Services for benchmarking, analytics, metrics, research, reporting, machine learning and other legitimate business purposes.
Automated Decisions.To the extent permitted by applicable law, we may collect data in an automated manner and make and use automated decisions about customers, including using machine learning algorithms, in order to provide or optimize the Products and Services, for security or analytics purposes, to display advertisements and offers based on individual preferences and for any other lawful purpose.
Why we use data
We processe data, including Personal Data, for a variety of purposes, such as:
- With customer or user consent, e.g., to receive marketing materials
- Where the processing is necessary for the performance of a contract, e.g., to facilitate backing-up and restoring data, for archiving purposes, or to provide technical support
- Where necessary to comply with law
- Where the processing is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests, taking into account individual interests. Our legitimate interests include providing the Products and Services, internal record-keeping and administrative purposes and to operate, maintain and improve the Websites or Portals
When visitors leave comments on the site we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
If you upload images to the website, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the website.
We use certain automatic data collection technologies such as cookies, web beacons, pixel tags and other technologies to collect data, including Personal Data, when users or customers visit the Websites or Portals, use the Products and Services or interact with us, and may share this data with our third-party marketing vendors (including for example, advertising networks and providers of external services like web traffic analysis services and analytics tools). We explain these technologies below.
Cookies.Cookies are small text files placed on a computer by a web server when browsing online and are used to store user preference data so that a web server doesn’t have to repeatedly request this information. A user may block cookies by activating the settings on the browser that blocks all or some cookies. However, if a user blocks all cookies (including strictly necessary cookies), a user may not be able to access all or parts of our Websites or Portals. We use the following cookies:
- Strictly Necessary Cookies. These cookies are required for the operation of our Websites and Portals. They include, for example, cookies that enable a customer to log-in to secure areas of our Websites and Portals and use e-commerce.
- Analytical and Performance Cookies. These cookies allow us to recognize and count the number of users visiting our Websites and Portals and see how those users navigate our Websites or Portals. This helps us to improve our Websites and Portals.
- Functionality Cookies. These cookies recognize a user that returns to our Websites or Portals. This enables us to personalize our content, greet the user by name and remember preferences, for example, choice of language or region.
- Targeting Cookies. These cookies record visits to our Websites or Portals and the links followed. We use this information to improve our Websites or Portals and ensure the advertising displayed is relevant to users.
Web Beacons.A web beacon is a small pixel incorporated into a web page or email to keep track of activity on the page or email. A web beacon helps us better manage the content of our Websites by informing us of what content is effective.
Cross-device Tracking.We may use third-party cross-device tracking. For example, a user may use multiple browsers on a single device, or use various devices, which can result in the customer having multiple accounts or profiles across various devices. Cross-device tracking may be used to connect these various accounts or profiles and the corresponding data from different devices.
If you leave a comment on our site you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
If you have an account and you log in to this site, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
If you edit or publish an article, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after 1 day.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
When and why we share your personal data
We do not and will not sell Personal Data to marketers or other vendors.
We may share data, including Personal Data, in the following circumstances:
Service Providers.We may share data, including Personal Data, with our contracted third-party service providers in order to provide and improve our Products and Services, Websites or Portals or to administer surveys and user analysis to better understand user needs and preferences. These third-parties include affiliates and subsidiaries, business partners, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, credit reference agencies, social media companies, email distributors, marketing automation partners, customer survey companies, data storage and hosting partners, IT specialists and product developers.
Legal Purposes.We may share data, including Personal Data, as necessary to comply with applicable law, court orders, governmental agencies, for the administration of justice, to protect vital interests, to protect the security or integrity of our databases, Products and Services, Websites or Portals, or to take precautions against legal liability.
Sale.In the event of a merger, consolidation, or acquisition of all, substantially all or a portion of our business or assets, we may share data, including Personal Data. Customers and users acknowledge and agree that data, including encrypted stored data and Personal Data that we have collected, may be securely shared, disclosed and transferred to such successor or assignee.
How long we retain your data
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
We may retain data, including Personal Data, for as long as necessary to deliver the Products and Services or as needed for other lawful purposes. We may retain anonymized or pseudonymized, aggregated data indefinitely or to the extent permitted under applicable law.
What rights you have over your data
If you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
Where we send your data
Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.
My Consultant as a data controller and processor
My Consultant and its global third-party cloud storage providers have reasonable and appropriate technical and organizational security measures in place to protect against unauthorized processing, loss, misuse and alteration of Personal Data under its control, including: (a) pseudonymization (such as where data is separated from identifiers so that linkage to an identity is not possible without additional information that is stored separately) and encryption, (b) ensuring the ongoing confidentiality, integrity, availability and resilience of systems and services used to process Personal Data, and (c) ensuring a process for regularly testing, assessing and evaluating the effectiveness of technical and organizational security measures. Please be advised that we cannot, and we do not believe that anyone can, genuinely guarantee or warrant absolute security of Personal Data disclosed or transmitted via the Internet to us or a third-party. As a result, absent our gross negligence, customers and users agree to not hold My Consultant responsible for the theft, destruction, loss, damage or inadvertent disclosure of Personal Data or other data provided to us.
The Websites and Portals may contain links to third-party websites that we do not control or maintain. We are not responsible for the privacy practices employed by these third-party websites. We encourage users to read the privacy statements of such other websites before submitting any Personal Data.
Contact My Consultant